Vertin is seeking an extraordinary funeral director/leader with experience in overseeing multiple calls for two locations. This role will manage a team of funeral directors, support staff and daily operations. You will have the opportunity to implement processes that promote exceptional service and create outstanding customer experiences, all while serving the needs of the communities you serve. You will lead your team with integrity, empathy, positivity
Vertin is a progressive organization dedicated to our caregivers and upholding high standards of care. As a leader in this role, you will have access to exceptional mentoring and professional development opportunities.
To be considered for this leadership position with Vertin, email your cover letter and complete resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
General Manger and Location Manager Duties (20%)
- Manage employee and operating group performance using established metrics and expectations.
- Track progress against the goals, ensure timely feedback, and address performance problems and issues promptly.
- Hold staff accountable for metrics and performance goals.
- Ensure appropriate and equitable staff schedules for call coverage, services, events, meetings, etc. for locations within operating group.
- Schedule and lead regular staff meetings, as defined by the Vertin Business Model, in conjunction with location managers (where applicable).
- Ensure adherence to all stated policies and procedures, OSHA standards, and FTC standards. Properly report any/all incidents immediately, as required by company procedures.
- Review and enhance current activities and marketing efforts.
- Understand the benefits of social media activity and ensure participation.
- Ensure active participation by all employees in the communities they serve.
- Utilize budgets and ensure financial goals are met for the businesses in the operating group.
- Prioritize future expenses and approve all proposed operating expenses within the limits of authorization.
- Immediately report all significant, unexpected, or potential expenses that arise as part of operating a business.
- Ensure proper facility, property, and vehicle maintenance is performed.
Funeral Director (60%)
- Supervise and care for the deceased in a respectful manner that adheres to regulatory requirements.
- Perform a variety of tasks related to preparation of the deceased: removal and transfer, embalming, cosmetology, hairstyling, dressing, and casketing.
- Arrange and conduct funeral and memorial ceremonies in a professional, organized, and caring manner in keeping with company policies and procedures.
- Carry out a variety of tasks related to coordinating a funeral service and visitation including managing the delivery and removal of flowers, caskets, urns, photos, and other personal memorabilia.
- Assist at the cemetery and participate as needed in church services.
- Perform office duties and reporting.
- Accurately prepare all documents related to funeral services, cremations, and maintenance.
- Provide timely delivery of documents, cards, memorabilia, etc. to the family following the service.
- Assist the family with insurance assignments, paperwork, and other related follow-up tasks as needed.
- Share potential preneed referrals with the preplanning specialist.
- Manage merchandise inventory and funeral home supplies.
- Build a strong relationship with the community through active involvement in area organizations and participation in charitable events.
- Utilize engaging local and digital marketing methods for promotion and education purposes.
- Promote and maintain a safe and healthy work environment.
- Assist with maintenance of the facility, property, and vehicles.
- Ensure adherence to all professional, state and federal licensing authority, regulations, and rules applicable to funeral service.
- Maintain a good driving record in order to drive funeral vehicles for services, floral delivery, supply pick-up, participation in special functions, and various other duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBLITIES (20%)
- Directly lead, supervise, train, and develop funeral home staff in operating group.
- Ensure roles and responsibilities are defined and clarified as necessary.
- Maintain systems to measure and evaluate direct reports against established metrics.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Vertin policies and management processes, and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include but are not limited to participating in interviewing, recruiting, hiring, onboarding, assigning and directing work, evaluating performance, reward and recognition, performance management, and termination.
- Ensure compliance in all areas for the benefit of employee health and safety.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATIONS
- Associate degree (A.S.), bachelor’s degree (B.S./B.A.) or equivalent from a college or university as required to hold the necessary Mortician License in the required state(s) of operation.
- Five or more years related experience and/or training within a funeral service setting where direct oversight/management of others was required.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS, ABILITIES
The individual must possess these skills and abilities or explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some combination of skills and abilities.
- Strong dedication to serve the needs of others.
- Accountability for serving families in a professional, compassionate, patient, and timely manner.
- Proven experience in establishing strong personal and business relationships with customers and partners in the community.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in one-on-one and large group settings.
- Ability to build consensus among team members.
- Discernment of sound business practices and how they support the overall mission of the business.
- An acumen for marketing and merchandising concepts to achieve stated goals.
- General understanding of Project Management, Task Management and Sales Management.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and delegate tasks when appropriate.
- Solid judgement in determining the financial implications of decisions.
- Capable of comprehending financial reports and successfully translating those results to others.
- Effective management skills to support all employees at the location level and in the operating group.
- Above-average technology skills.
- Use of programs such as Word, Publisher and Excel.
- Use of LinkedIn, Facebook and/or Instagram.