As a Location Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing daily funeral home operations and supervising a team of funeral professionals and support staff. Integrity, empathy, positivity, and accountability are necessary attributes for success. In this role, you will have the opportunity to implement processes that promote exceptional service and create remarkable customer experiences, all while meeting the needs of the communities you serve.
Vertin is a progressive organization dedicated to our caregivers and upholding high standards of care, so you will have access to outstanding mentoring and professional development opportunities. Our network of internal support allows you to focus on what you do best.
To be considered for this leadership position with Vertin, email your cover letter and complete resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Funeral Director (70%)
- Supervise and care for the deceased in a respectful manner that adheres to regulatory requirements.
- Perform a variety of tasks related to preparation of the deceased: removal and transfer, embalming, cosmetology, hairstyling, dressing, and casketing.
- Arrange and conduct funeral and memorial ceremonies in a professional, organized, and caring manner in keeping with company policies and procedures.
- Carry out a variety of tasks related to coordinating a funeral service and visitation including managing the delivery and removal of flowers, caskets, urns, photos, and other personal memorabilia.
- Assist at the cemetery and participate as needed in church services.
- Grow market share through active involvement with community, religious, and other organizations.
- Maintain company and funeral home location marketing online and locally as required.
- Where location differences cause Funeral Director to serve as a Crematory Operator, specific responsibilities also include those of a Crematory Operator.
- Operate and maintain the crematory at certain locations, including repositioning and processing of cremated remains as per the Procedures Manual.
- Promote and maintain a safe and healthy work environment.
- Ensure adherence to all professional, state and federal licensing authority, regulations and rules applicable to funeral service.
- Where regulatory requirements limit pre-need sales to funeral directors, the Funeral Director’s specific responsibilities also include those of the Preneed Specialist.
- Provide aftercare, including delivery of documents, cards, and information on insurance and pre-arrangements for next of kin.
- Ensure potential pre-need referrals are shared with Preneed Specialist.
- Perform office duties and reporting.
- Accurately prepare all documents related to funeral services, cremations, and maintenance.
- Assist with the maintenance of vehicles, the facility and property, caskets and other funeral home supplies, placing into inventory.
- Participate in special functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Participate in a rotating on-call schedule.
Location Manager (10%)
- Ensure appropriate and equitable staff schedules for call coverage, services, events, meetings, etc.
- Manage employee performance using established metrics and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, ensuring timely feedback, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly.
- Hold staff accountable for metrics and performance goals.
- Schedule and lead regular staff meetings, as defined by the Vertin Business Model and management processes.
- Ensure active participation by all employees in the communities they serve.
- Review and enhance current activities and marketing efforts.
- Understand the budget and ensure goals are met.
- Prioritize future expenses and approve all proposed operating expenses within the limits of authorization.
- Ensure proper facility, property, and vehicle maintenance is performed.
- Immediately report all significant, unexpected or potential expenses that arise as part of operating a business.
- Ensure adherence by all staff to all stated policies and procedures, OSHA standards, and FTC standards.
- Properly report any/all incidents immediately, as required by company procedures.
Supervisory Responsibilities (20%)
- Directly lead, supervise, train, and develop funeral home staff.
- Ensure roles and responsibilities are clarified.
- Maintain systems to measure and evaluate direct reports against established metrics.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Vertin policies and management processes, and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include but are not limited to participating in interviewing, recruiting, hiring, onboarding, assigning and directing work, evaluating performance, reward and recognition, performance management, and termination.
- Ensure compliance in all areas for the benefit of employee health and safety.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATIONS
Associate degree (A.S.), bachelor’s degree (B.S./B.A.), or equivalent from a college or university as required to hold the necessary Mortician License in the required state(s) of operation, plus two or more years related experience and/or training within a funeral service setting, where direct oversight/management of others was required, is preferred.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS, ABILITIES
- The individual must possess these skills and abilities or explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some combination of skills and abilities.
- Strong dedication to serving the needs of others.
- Strong communication skills with staff and the community.
- Ability to build a consensus.
- Effective oversight of individual or group meetings
- Ability to objectively determine the varying levels of participation and commitment to the goals of the team.
- Ability to provide management support to all employees at the location level.
- Ability to understand the importance of sound business practices and how they support the overall mission of the business.
- Solid understanding of marketing and merchandising, as well as clarity on how to utilize both to achieve stated goals.
- Ability to take direction/guidance from leadership, then implement those policies into the daily operations of the business.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and effectively delegate tasks