EDINA, MN, or BRECKENRIDGE, MN
The Payroll Manager oversees payroll operations and staff to ensure compliance and accuracy for 700+ associates across many locations in multiple states for a growing mid-market company. You would establish high standards for meticulous attention to detail, open communication, and integrity. In addition, you would work closely with other senior leaders to reach goals and focus on continuous improvement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represent and promote Vertin’s mission, vision, and values.
- Build an employee-centric, customer service-oriented payroll organization.
- Implement, maintain, and review standard payroll processes to ensure timely and accurate payroll
- Evaluate current payroll system and make recommendations for improvements.
- Manage and train payroll direct and indirect support staff.
- Schedule weekly one-on-ones with direct reports and complete annual performance reviews.
- Ensure that associate records within the payroll system are accurate and complete at all times.
- Actively ensure compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage and hour laws and best practices.
- Work closely with Human Resources to ensure that associate onboarding and offboarding is conducted efficiently and to help establish new standards and policies related to associate compensation and benefits as necessary.
- Assist with processing and reviewing bi-monthly payrolls and related payroll reporting.
- Facilitate audits by providing records and documentation to auditors.
- Work to create scalable payroll operations that can grow as the company grows organically and through strategic acquisitions.
- Work closely with senior leaders in Finance and cross-functionally with other leaders in the organization to promote continuous improvement, best practices, and knowledge sharing.
- Work with the CFO to establish annual payroll initiatives that are in line with Vertin’s strategic objectives.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, human resources, business administration or related field. 10+ years of proven payroll experience including 3+ years of payroll management experience. CPP or CPM required. Microsoft Dynamics GP experience is a plus. Experience with one of the top 3rd party payroll processing companies is a plus.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS, ABILITIES
The individual must possess these skills and abilities or explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some combination of skills and abilities.
- Extensive knowledge of the payroll function including processing, internal controls, state and federal compliance and payroll tax filing.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills and experience.
- Organized and meticulous with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks, timelines, and projects.
- Deep-seated attention to detail with the desire to continuously improve.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively.
- Strong computer/technology skills with a continuous learning mindset.
- Expert proficiency within the payroll system.